For Day 2 of Drink Just Water week, activate and inspire by sharing stats and facts about clean water! Spend some time today learning about the role water can play in creating and relieving poverty and injustice. Then, tweet, make a Facebook status, or write a blog to spread the word! Below we included some facts to get you started…
Clean water facts:
- 800 million people on the planet don’t have access to clean drinking water
- Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. (GBD_report_2004update_part2)
- 90% of the 30,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are children under five years old. (http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/factsfigures04/en/)
- Each $1 invested in safe drinking water and sanitation yields an estimated average of $3-$34 depending on the region and technology. (WWDR3_Facts_and_Figures
- The overall economic loss in Africa alone due to lack of access to safe water and basic sanitation is estimated at $28.4 billion a year, or around 5%of GDP. (WWDR3_Facts_and_Figures)
- Just $20 can provide clean water for one person for 20 years.
Join us for Drink Just Water Week! Water plays an important role in our lives, whether it is quenching our thirst, keeping us clean, or providing relief from the oppressive heat of summertime. This week, ACT:S is teaming up with MiiR to investigate our own water use (and waste!) and to help provide clean water to people around the world who don’t have it. You in?